Boardmaker Online Symbol Editor will also you to change colors, erase, flip, rotate and much more! This tutorial will review the available Symbol Editor tools and provide step-by-step instructions for some of the most popular operations.To access the Symbol Editor:
- Select a button on your board or activity that contains the symbol you want to edit. A button that is selected will have a red box around it.
If you have created a button with multiple symbols (Group Button), the Symbol Editor will treat it as though it is a single symbol. You can still edit the symbol, but it will be changed to a Standard button after you have saved your changes.
- Select Edit Symbol. The Symbol Editor window will open.
- Editing tools can be found at the top of the window.
Marquee tool- use to make rectangular selections that you can then cut, copy, and paste
Lasso tool- use to make selections in a freeform shape that you can then cut, copy, and paste
Pencil tool - Draw freehand lines. Choose the line color using the palette or the dropper to choose a color somewhere on the symbol. Select a brush size and shape to draw with.
Erase tool - Erase freehand. Select a brush size/shape. Click and drag on the symbol to erase. Erased areas are made transparent.
Fill tool- Replace the color of a given single color area with a different color. Choose a color from the palette or use the dropper tool to choose a color somewhere on the symbol. The contiguous box, when enabled, will only replace the color in the area you select. When disabled, it will replace the color on the area you select as well as anywhere else that color appears on the symbol.
Invert tool - Inverts all colors in the symbol. This is a toggle tool, so just select the tool to turn invert on or off.
Rotate tool- Rotate or flip the image. Rotate left or right in 45 degree increments. Flip (mirror) the image horizontally or vertically.
Cut - Cut (remove) the currently selected area to the clipboard. Use Paste to place it elsewhere.
Copy - Copy the currently selected area to the clipboard. Use Paste to place it elsewhere.
Paste - Place the object that has been cut or copied to the clipboard.
Undo - Reverse your most recent action.
Redo- Use to redo an action you just reversed with the Undo button.
As you play with the different tools in the Symbol Editor, don’t forget about the Undo button! You can reverse several actions.To change the color on a symbol:
- Select the Fill Tool.
- Choose the desired color from the palate or use the dropper tool to choose a color from somewhere on the symbol.
- Click the mouse (it will now be in the shape of a paint can) in the area on the symbol that you would like to color.
The contiguous box, when enabled, will only replace the color in the area you select. When disabled, it will replace the color on the area you select as well as anywhere else where that color appears on the symbol.To rotate the symbol:
- Select the Rotate Tool.
- In the Properties panel, You will have options to Rotate and Flip.
Rotate left or right in 45 degree increments. Flip (mirror) the image horizontally or vertically.To move parts of a symbol:
To Save the edited symbol:
- Select the Lasso tool.
- Using your mouse, draw a circle around a portion of the symbol.
- Click and drag to desired location.
When you have finished making changes to the symbol, choose a Save option:
- Save to Activity - The symbol will be saved only in the single location that it is currently selected in the current activity. If you do not intend to use this edited symbol again, choose this option.
- Save to My Media - The edited symbol will be saved to your My Media folder on boardmakeronline.com. If you will be using this edited symbol again in other activities, choose this save option. When you want to use this symbol in the future, select Choose Symbol, then select the My Media tab and search by the symbol name.
To exit the Symbol Editor without saving any changes, select the Back to Editor button.