The Edmark Reading Program Functional Words Series - Second Edition: Job/Work Words teaches 100 functional sight words to students who have a variety of learning differences and disabilities, including students with autism spectrum disorders, developmental disability, intellectual disability, hearing impairment, reading disability, and learning disability, as well as learners of English as a second language. Particularly for individuals with severe disabilities, the ability to function independently is influenced significantly by the functional words and phrases the individual recognizes and is able to read.
The Functional Words Series can be implemented as part of a functional living and community skills program or as a supplement to other reading programs. The Functional Words Series uses a word recognition method, involving repeated exposure to target words. Every lesson targets one or more functional vocabulary words and engages students in a variety of learning activities. The Functional Words Series lessons are carefully sequenced, moderately paced, and repetitive. Job/Work Words teaches 100 words related to getting and keeping a job, including such words as Social Security Number, help wanted, hard hat area, Monday, and January.
What's New in the Second Edition:
Includes Teacher's Guide, 100 Word Recognition Lessons, one 5-book set of Stories, Board Game, pack of 100 Photo Cards, pack of 100 Word Cards, and a CD-ROM, all in a sturdy storage box.
- The addition of Stories and Stories Activities represents a significant enhancement to the Functional Words Series. Students can experience stories with carefully controlled vocabulary words used in real-world contexts. The Stories are in a standard paperback format. Each of the five Stories books contains 10 stories, one story for every two words taught. Additional sets may be purchased for use with multiple students. The stories throughout the series include a common cast of characters, with a few other characters introduced to facilitate various storylines. Character Illustrations are included as printable PDFs on the CD-ROM. Students may use the illustrations of the story characters to follow the various people they read about and as an aid to comprehending the stories.
- The Lesson Plan/Record is revised and expanded to provide simplified continuous progress monitoring combined with an easy-to-use lesson planning format. Posttests are included following every 10 words taught in the Word Recognition books.
- Reading and Social Skills Games with student learning objectives have been added to provide opportunities to practice reading and to learn word meanings in an interactive context.
- Photo Cards, featuring 100 four-color photographs with target words printed beneath the images, are included in each kit and can be used to introduce students to each new word. The photos reinforce the target words in a realistic way and aid in vocabulary development.
- Word Cards, feature 100 words taught in the program in a handy playing card format.
- A CD-ROM contains the reproducible Lesson Plan/Record, Vocabulary Exercises, Stories Activities, Character Illustrations, and files to use with the games (see Appendix D).